The last day of school--it's something kids look forward to all school year long (even if they secretly love to learn). Students, teachers and parents yearn for the slightly less structured days of summer. There are no tests to study for, no special projects to complete at the last minute, and no homework for the dog to eat! The tricky thing about summer is that as soon as the last school bell rings, kids brains begin to suffer from what is known as "summer learning loss".
Did you know that students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer months? When you compare standardized test scores for tests taken at the end of the school year and the same test taken at the end of summer--there's a significant dip in student achievement. Summer brain drain is a fact, but it's not inevitable.
Studies also show that quality summer programs keep the learning going all year long and can actually boost a child's academic achievement and confidence by the start of the new school year. Here are five good reasons to consider summer school for your child:
- Extra practice and review of key concepts in reading, writing and math helps reinforce academic skills and fill in any gaps in your child's education over the past year.
- The smaller class sizes often available in summer school classes allow for more one-on-one time between teachers and students. Children may feel more confident speaking up and asking for help in areas where they just don't "get it".
- Kid's brains actually don't need "downtime" from learning. The steady stimulation that summer school provides is much more beneficial to your child's brain development than, say, hours of unstructured time watching TV or playing video games.
- The slower more relaxed pace of summer school allows kids to "play" at learning, discovering new areas of interest and ways of solving problems.
- Summer school helps children build confidence in their academic abilities and a little confidence can go a long way to helping your child succeed in the coming school year.
Find out more about Fairmont's summer programs including day camp, summer school and enrichment programs by visiting www.fairmontsummerprograms.com. Save 10% on summer school and summer camp if you enroll by April 30th!
Contributed by Danyelle, Fairmont Private Schools