Summer is on the horizon, which means family vacations are being strategically planned and plotted! While making memories as a family is important, traveling can be taxing. Take some of the stress out of your summer travel plans with these simple parenting hacks!
- Make sure your vehicle has a first aid kit with all the basics.
- Keep kids entertained with a travel binder stocked with pencil cases, paper, coloring sheets, worksheets, crossword puzzles, etc. The binder not only keeps everything contained, but acts as a portable writing desk.
- Play the license plate game or road trip bingo with these free printables!
- Bring audiobooks that the whole family can enjoy while riding in the car.
- Tether sippy cups to car seats, making sure the length of string is long enough for use, but short enough to not be hazardous.
- Purchase suction cup shower caddies and attach to the car window for a place to store small toys, crayons, etc.
- Leave the expensive stroller at home. Cheap strollers are usually much smaller, lightweight, and won't be missed if they’re stolen at the amusement park.
- Pack small trinkets and snacks into a paper bag for each child. As a reward for their patience and cooperation, hand these out during a halfway point or once you reach your destination.
- Freeze juice boxes to keep them cold and refreshing during travel. As a bonus, they’ll keep other snack items cool and refrigerated.
- If you’re worried about spills and stains, cover your car’s seat upholstery with an old bed sheet. If dirty shoes are a potential problem, bring plastic grocery bags or a pack of shower caps to keep shoe pairs together and contained.
- Keep out crumbs and gunk by putting muffin liners in cup holders.
- If you’re headed to a friend or family member’s house, travel light by packing clothing in vacuum-sealed bags. Just borrow the vacuum before heading home!
Contributed by Rebecca Stokes, Fairmont Private Schools