Don't you love it when all of the pumpkin flavored and scented products start appearing in stores? It's that time of year, before the rush of the holidays, when there's the slightest nip in the air and suddenly you know fall is on the way. Won't be long before leaves start changing colors and you head out with your family to pick the perfect pumpkin for the Halloween jack-o'-lantern. Get in the fall spirit with this delicious-smelling homemade playdough recipe from Small + Friendly (it smells good enough to eat--but don't!).
Pumpkin Spice Playdough Recipe (adapted from the recipe found in Unplugged Play)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup of salt (a little more if you use kosher)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil*
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves)
- optional: food coloring or natural food based dyes (such as beet juice and turmeric)
- Combine all ingredients (except coloring) in a large pot.
- Stir over medium heat until a big ball forms. (It should be smooth and no longer sticky.)
- Remove from pot and allow to cool until the dough can be worked by hand.
- Divide the dough into however many different colors you want.
- Work the colors into the dough by adding a few drops at a time and kneading. (We used food coloring for red, yellow, and orange and left one brown. Similar colors could be achieved with natural juices: beet, carrot, turmeric.)
* Coconut oil is my secret ingredient. I makes the best play dough ever. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.
Image credit Small + Friendly
Contributed by Danyelle, Fairmont Private Schools