Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is remembered today as an American hero who fought for civil rights and freedom for all. We celebrate his legacy with some of his most powerful words:
- The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.
- I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
Contributed by Danyelle, Fairmont Private Schools