Summer is just around the corner and nothing ushers in the season better than an outdoor Memorial Day celebration with family, friends and neighbors. In my opinion, you've just gotta have the following:
- American Flag—The stars and stripes is an enduring symbol of all that our country represents. Fly Old Glory with pride on Memorial Day, and share these fun flag facts with your kids.
- Grilled Food—Memorial Day unofficially kicks off grilling season. Before you fire up the barbie, get your grill in shape with these prep tips.
- Patriotic Decorations—Red, white and blue are festive colors to play with on Memorial Day and any decorations you craft can do double duty a few months later for Independence Day. Check out these décor ideas from Martha Stewart Living.
- Moment of Remembrance—at 3pm on Memorial Day, observe the National Moment of Remembrance and take a minute to remember the men and women who have paid the ultimate price to safeguard our American way of life. Take your patriotism a step further by visiting a war memorial or donating to a quality cause supporting our veterans such as the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.
- Dessert!—There are plenty of sweet ways to top off your celebrations, but I’m partial to desserts that make the most of the spring’s bounty of berries. I'll be trying these Grilled Balsamic and Brown Sugar Strawberries.
Photo from Chasing Delicious
Contributed by Danyelle, Fairmont Private Schools